Conover, North Carolina

From the Charlotte Observer of October 19, 2007

Conover man won’t be charged in killing

A Conover man who shot and killed another man during an argument earlier this month won’t be charged by the District Attorney’s Office, authorities said.

Officials decided not to charge John Kenneth Hedrick, 73, in the Oct. 6 shooting death of 36-year-old Raymond Weathers because it appeared that Hedrick fired in self-defense, authorities said.

“There was not enough evidence to prosecute this as a crime,” said Capt. Roy Brown of the Catawba County Sheriff’s Office.

The men had starting arguing, likely over a female they both knew, in front Weather’s Newton home, Brown said, and Weathers began hitting and kicking Hedrick.

Brown said the men were fighting on the ground, with Weathers sitting over Hedrick, and Hedrick was able to reach into his van and grab a gun off the floorboard.

Weathers was shot at least two times — in the neck and shoulder — with a revolver, and Hedrick had “visible injuries” to his upper body and head when the men were found in Weather’s yard, Brown said.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: