Pomona, California

From the Ontario Daily Bulletin of July 23, 2007

Inquiry finds shooter acted in self-defense

Suspect now held on other charge

A 31-year-old man will not be charged in the shooting death of a 25-year-old man in June, officials said.

The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced last week that it will not file a murder charge against Carlos Salazar in the death of Angel Aguayo of Pomona.

Salazar was arrested June 11, three days after Aguayo was shot multiple times in the 400 block of West Grand Avenue, according to a police statement.

Salazar is being held without bail at California Institution for Men in Chino, where he awaits a court appearance on a charge of being a felon in possession of a gun.

The district attorney’s investigation found that Salazar acted in self-defense when he shot Aguayo, according to the office’s statement.

Aguayo died as he was being placed in the ambulance, police said.

Aguayo’s grandmother, Victoria Rosalez, and the rest of his family are still grieving over his death.

“We still can’t believe it. We’re still sad,” Rosalez said from the front porch of her Pomona home Saturday afternoon.

Rosalez said Aguayo’s former girlfriend came over the night he died with a bruise on her face. She was upset and claimed that Salazar had beaten her, Rosalez said.

Aguayo was attempting to help her when he got shot, Rosalez said.

(More)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: