Fort Worth, Texas

From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram of April 26, 2007

Clerk says he fatally shot man trying to rob store

A store clerk who fatally shot a man Wednesday evening told police officers that the man had tried to rob him at gunpoint, interim Police Chief David Miller said.

The 23-year-old clerk, who was not identified Wednesday night, told police that two men broke into Fabulous Urban & Sportswear in the 3300 block of Mansfield Highway after the store closed, Miller said.

The clerk said he shot one of the intruders in the chest and leg with a gun kept at the store before calling police about 9:20 p.m., Miller said.

The man was pronounced dead at John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth at 9:56 p.m., Miller said.

The store’s manager, who identified himself as the clerk’s uncle, said the robbers’ weapons appeared to be Uzis. The man who was shot put his weapon to the clerk’s head, he said.

“He did what he had to do,” said the manager, who declined to give his name. “It was self-defense.”

The manager said he moved to the area because of Hurricane Katrina. Since then, the store has been broken into at least four times, but this was the first armed robbery, he said.

Police were questioning the clerk late Wednesday and had not decided whether to charge him, Miller said.

The second robber was arrested, he said.

From Fort Worth’s of April 27, 2007

DA: Forest Hill Clerk Killed Man In Self Defense

In the attempted robbery gone wrong, a store clerk turned the tables on two men armed with a Tech-9.

Around closing time on Wednesday night, 21-year-old Michael Walker and 21-year-old Andrew Fobbs went into the Fabulous Urban and Sports Wear with intentions to rob it, say police.

Click here to see the store’s surveillance video showing the dramatic standoff between the clerk and Walker.

The suspect and the clerk wrestled for each others guns. That’s when the suspect let go of his to reach for the clerk’s.

As they both fight for control of the weapon, the clerk shot Walker in the chest and leg. Walker later died at the hospital.

Meantime, the other suspect, made a run for it. But he couldn’t get out because the door was locked.

The clerk called 911 and kept him there at gunpoint until police arrived.

The clerk won’t face any charges because the District Attorney said it was a clear case of self-defense.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: